Sunday, March 7th, City of Lusaka fought back to earn a point in a 1-1 draw with Nchanga Rangers at Woodlands Stadium.


The visitors took the lead midway through the first half through Kunda Nkandu and they stayed in front and looked on course to claim all three points until a late Lubinda Mundia header snatched Yamoto a point.  


City of Lusaka started the game slowly and goalkeeper Joseph Phiri was called into action just two minutes in with a good low down save from a one on one chance for Nchanga.


The following ten minutes were predominantly played in the middle of the park between the two sets of skilful midfielders, with the only action being a yellow card shown to Yamoto defender Wezzly Makwati for a forceful challenge on the wing.


Nchanga continued to pile on the pressure and came close to finding the net in the 15th minute when a shot from 6 yards just flew over the top of the Yamoto goal.


Soon after, in the 19th minute, Nchanga flashed a teasing ball across the face of the Yamoto goal but no one in yellow and blue could get the vital finishing touch.


Two minutes later, the away side’s pressure paid off after a well-controlled touch from Kunda Nkandu allowed himself space to calmly slot the ball past Phiri and into the bottom left corner from just outside the 18-yard box.


After the goal, the action continued to flow and there were shouts for a penalty for the home side after Mundia went down in the area but the referee waved it away.


Lusaka came agonisingly close to an equaliser in the 27th minute when Angel Lubamba worked some space out wide and played a whipped ball onto the head of Emmanuel Kalala, forcing a point-blank range save from the away team keeper.


Half an hour in, Coach Vesko made two changes to his side, bringing on Papy Kabongo and Francis Banda for Kalala and Shimonde.


The home side had a bright end to the half when another good cross and resulting header made the Nchanga keeper work and turn the ball away for a corner.


Half Time: City of Lusaka 0-1 Nchanga Rangers 


Yamoto picked up right where they left off in the second half, picking up a free-kick deep into the Rangers half but the cross into the box was just too high for anyone to turn goalward. Nchanga appeared to be content with their one goal advantage, with the Nchanga goalkeeper being cautioned by the referee for time wasting.


City of Lusaka proceeded to dominate much of the ball well into the game and another header in the 67th minute from a wide-right freekick was put just high of the crossbar from Mundia.


70 minutes in, Yamoto won a direct freekick in the centre of the field just outside the box but the chance was spurned after Angel Lubamba’s effort cannoned straight into the wall. At this point five Nchanga players had been stretchered off the field of play, in an attempt to slow the match.


However, in the 80th min of the game Yamoto finally found the breakthrough they were looking for, through a corner that found the head of Mundia who strongly nodded home off the crossbar to put his side level.


The remaining 10 minutes, with four added on, Luskaka pushed for that decisive winning goal, and despite coming close once or twice, were unable to find it.


Full Time: City of Lusaka 1-1 Nchanga Rangers 


City now sit in 4th with 35 points after 20 games played.


Next up is an away trip to Chambishi on Saturday, March 21st.


City of Lusaka is proudly sponsored by Bolabet! Prove you know the game at

Comments are closed